Tuesday, August 11, 2009

My Latest Vintage Find

Here's my latest vintage find. Diane and I were going into an antique mall here in town and what was sitting right outside the entry door? This sofa! It was marked $125.00. I just fell in love with the lines of it and thought it would fit perfectly into our master bedroom. NOTE: I did offer $100.00 for it to get even more of a bargain...but it was a piece on consignment and they were not able to deal...oh well.

Ok...the fabric is pretty hideous....but I must admit that in 1992 while decorating my condo, I used this exact pattern on a wallpaper border in my kitchen of all places!!! So, you see, our tastes and style change as the years go by. I had an upholsterer swing by and take a look at it for me. He told me it was definitely worthy of a new coat of beautiful fabric. So..my husband and our friend George went to pick it up. It is a Regency style sofa from the 30's probably. I love the clean lines and the wood trim detail.




Notice how the legs of the sofa are very similar to the beautiful curved mahogany dresser we also found at an antique shop in pristine condition for a steal.






This is the fabric that I want to recover the sofa in. It has the neutrals that I am loving in my new master bedroom, but with the "pop" of the small cheetah pattern. I'll be sure to post the "after" photos of this beauty reupholstered when it's done.
In the meantime I am enjoying having such a comfy place to sit in my new bedroom. I can turn the wall mount flat screen towards the sofa to watch television or browse through a magazine. Does life get much better than that?
Although reupholstering sofas is not inexpensive, if you have a style that you love and the frame is in good condition, you get exactly what you want. My Mom recently recovered a favorite sofa and two wing chairs. She is very happy with the results.
And for my fellow vintage lovers out there....is there anything better than bringing a beautiful piece like this to a new life? I love the Hollywood Glamour era that this sofa frame evokes. Can't wait to see it in my new fabric.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Who doesn't love to get a comment? I'd love to hear you stopped by.