Thursday, January 28, 2010

I'm a Fan Of This Cookbook!



Last summer I bought the "Cook Yourself Thin" Cookbook.

I am definitely a fan! I do enjoy cooking, but let's face it, all those recipes are not always, shall we say? figure-friendly.

I've started working my way through the cookbook and haven't had a disappointment yet.

BUT, yesterday I made these and I had to share!!!! They were a hit with the kids and my husband (and of course I thought they were wonderful).

Give them a try...at only 157 calories per serving, you just won't believe it.


PEANUT BUTTER DREAM BARS
Serves 8
Calories per serving: 157

1/2 cup low-calorie thin chocolate wafers, finely ground in a food processor
1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1/4 cup creamy reduced-fat peanut butter
1 1/2 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, room temperature
2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons semisweet chocolate chips, melted

1. Line a 9-x-4-inch loaf pan with wax paper or baking parchment, leaving a 2-inch overhang on the long sides.

2. Combine the ground wafers, oats, sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Stir in the butter until everything is evenly moistened. Stir in 1 tablespoon peanut butter until mixture forms large clumps. Transfer mixture to lined loaf pan and press into an even layer. Refrigerate until firm, about 10 minutes.

3. Meanwhile, beat cream cheese with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add vanilla, remaining 3 tablespoons peanut butter and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and beat on medium speed until pale and nearly doubled in volume, about 7 minutes. Transfer to the loaf pan and spread in an even layer over cookie crust. Freeze until firm, about 10 minutes.

4. Spread the chocolate in a thin, even layer over the chilled peanut butter layer. Refrigerate until firm, about 10 minutes. When ready to serve, lift bars out of the pan using the wax paper overhang. Cut crosswise into 8 bars and serve cold.



[signature.gif]

5 comments:

  1. I love peanut butter bars...YUM! Thanks for stopping by...your sweet comment and for becoming a follower! Whoo-Who

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cook yourself thin? Hmmm... great concept, particularly if it has a recipe like the one you showed.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  3. They sound great! I may make them for my Mexican train hostess night, and they look great too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trying them tonight for a treat for Craig when he comes through town tomorrow! I'll let you know how they turn out!

    ReplyDelete

Who doesn't love to get a comment? I'd love to hear you stopped by.