Friday, February 24, 2012

The Story Behind The Name


023

Happy Friday Friends!
I know my posts have been few and far between…things are busy here for sure.  I’ve been working hard creating custom dress forms.
I love to name my forms.  It makes them “come alive” for me.


I want to share a story with you.  I asked my customer what she would like to name her form and she shared this story with me:


I think "Daisy Marcellus" in honor of my grandmothers - they were the Sewing Queens of the depression years in the early 1930's on the prairie in North Dakota. Well-to-do relatives from "back east" would send a barrel of cast-off clothing via railroad twice a year, and my great-grandmother Daisy & grandmother Marcellus would work their magic, remaking all the clothing for the 8 children in the family - 5 girls and 3 boys. My mother said they had the nicest clothes for school except for the hateful wool stockings they had to wear in the winter. My mother would be shocked when at the age of 12 she discovered not everyone wore made-over clothes "from the barrel" - you could actually go into town and buy a ready-made dress that already fit! My mother was an excellent seamstress also, and I was blessed with the sewing gene too. I never got to meet Gramma Daisy, and Gramma Marcellus died in the early 1970's. I lost my mother to Alzheimer's last July, and sadly neither of my daughters has any interested in sewing. I have the family Singer treadle machine, my mother's Singer Featherweight, and my own Husvarna machine and will sew as long as I'm able.

014
018 (768x1024)
I love the story and the sentiment behind this project.  I created a special “name tag” for Daisy Marcellus.
She represents so many dreams and memories for someone very special.
I love “meeting” the people I work with and getting to know a little bit of their story.
How rewarding.
Thanks for stopping in.
Cori
024 (768x1024)

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet story! The little dress form is so beautiful...I can't beleieve you make these!!! The little tag is the perfect touch :o) Very sweet!!!!
    ~Des

    PS. I am now following you on Google...hope you will follow me back :o)

    ReplyDelete

Who doesn't love to get a comment? I'd love to hear you stopped by.