Sunday, October 11, 2009

Saturday Night Dinner

This is a recipe I've been wanting to try for awhile....Beef Bourguigon from the Barefoot Contessa. I was planning to make it on Diane's and Craig's last night here.
Well...they had to cut their visit short because we were expecting our first frost here in Washington and they needed to get home and check on their house.
I made it last night. What a great dinner for a cold autumn night. This version is much less intimidating than the Julia Childs version and very delicious. To get the recipe just click here.
I would highly recommend this

OK...now for dessert. I haven't made this VERY special recipe in a LONG time, but I made it last night. This is my Grandma's Crumb Cake. I wanted to share it with you, because it really is a simple and delicious recipe.
Crumb Cake
2 cups flour
2 cups brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
Mix dry ingredients well. Add 1/2 cup vegetable oil.
Mix with dry ingredients until crumbly
Remove 1/4 cup of this for topping and set aside.
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup of buttermilk
1 tsp baking soda
Mix together with a wooden sppon until fairly smooth.
Spread batter into a baking pan. Sprinkle your 1/4 cup "crumb" mixture on top.
Bake in a preheated 325 degree over for approximately 30 minutes. The cake is done when it springs back in the middle when checked.
Optional: you can add in your favorite nuts or chocolate chips. This will increase baking time slightly.

This is a favorite recipe in my family. It just seems perfect for this time of year. I had forgotten how delicious it is. Of course it is wonderful with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Enjoy!

[signature.gif]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who doesn't love to get a comment? I'd love to hear you stopped by.